Thursday, January 26, 2012

Week Two - The Grand Ole Opry Challenge

If you remember from last week, my challenge for week two was all about the exercise.

On day one I decided to go walking on my mom's treadmill. Because of timing with the kids and their school schedules I was only able to get 30 minutes in. So when I got back home I did 20 minutes of a muscle strengthening video. This was also the night of the kickoff meeting for Biggest Losers of West Jordan, and also my personal night out. The kickoff meeting was short, so I decided to swim laps for 30 minutes at the Kearns Oquirrh Park Fitness Center before I treated myself to a movie. I definitely slept well that night.

I wasn't quite so gung-ho the rest of the week, but I did manage to get my 30 minutes for six of the days, which was my goal. I didn't have a routine established yet, so everyday I had to try and figure out what, when, and how I was going to get my exercise in. This challenge felt very high maintenance this week. My default exercise when I didn't have time or a sitter for the kids was to play Just Dance on the Wii. It's fun and if I pick the right songs is a good work out for me. It's also a great way to save myself from a week of Country Music watching if I accidentally go over my calories. (Can we say snack size Oreo McFlurry? - oops).

I also did a ton of walking, mostly on my mom's treadmill, and once I took a couple of kids to the high school track. My ankle objected when I tried to transition to a jog, so I decided not to push it and stuck with the walking.

To make life easier this next week I'm trying to set up an exercise schedule ahead of time. I started three of my kids in swimming lessons, so MWF I'm going to swim laps while they are at their lessons. Tues and Thurs I will do a water aerobics class. Saturday I will either walk or do something fun. I used to play racquetball for fun in college and was thinking I might like to try that again.

As far as food goes, it was easier than week one, but I still struggled. The challenge is still working for me. There were a couple of times I almost gave in to the call of a good binge. I told myself I didn't care, but who was I kidding? I absolutely did care about losing my precious money to the country music industry. I had to force myself to stop eating several times. If I ate any more there would be no way to recover and I absolutely had to stop. This for me is why this challenge is working. Before there was nothing compelling enough to pull me out of my eating.

On to the highlights..

Week Two total weight loss: 3.4 pounds
Total Challenge weight loss: 6.4 pounds

Favorite Foods of the week:
  • Bolthouse Farm's Raspberry Merlot dressing - 30 calories for 2 Tbsp.
    This dressing is made from mostly fruit juice and a little oil and vinegar. It's fairly sweet though if you're turned off by that.
  • My mock version of Wendy's Apple Pecan salad.
    - I mix some romaine lettuce and spinach for a base.
    - Throw on some roasted almonds or pecans
    - Add some blue cheese
    - Handful of dried cranberries
    - A few apple slices
    - Dressing. I use either the Raspberry Merlot or one of the packets of Pomegranate dressing I save from Wendys. (They always give me two and I save one for later).
    -If I want it for a meal I add some pre-cooked fajita grilled chicken strips.
  • Burger King's Tendergrill Sandwich. I get it without mayo for 360 calories. So juicy and tastes like summer grilling. Yum!
High Points: It felt good to do so much exercising this week. I liked being able to eat more and felt better overall. I was especially proud of myself for swimming laps. The last time I swam laps was before Autumn was born and I just remember it being so hard. I definitely took it slow and easy this time, but it was satisfying to swim for a full 30 minutes.


1 comment: