Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Ultimatum Diet – Challenge #2


After four months of strict calorie counting I was a little burned out and ready for a break. I looked forward to a reunion with some of my favorite foods. I took a planned break from calorie counting for one week. It's been nice and fun, but I haven't felt the greatest. I think my body got used to eating better and doesn't appreciate the return to my old ways.

I didn't realize how much I would miss my challenge this week. I'm actually looking forward to tracking calories, exercising, and watching the weight come off. Of course I'm saying this with a full stomach. I may be eating my words (and not much else) tomorrow.

I'm pleased to announce that I am ready begin a new challenge. After some thought I've decided that Challenge #2 will be be the “Sweatin' to the Oldies Challenge”


Now, unlike Country Music, I don't really detest Richard Simmons. In fact I rather like the guy. He's done great things with his life and has helped a lot of people. He doesn't take himself too seriously, and is willing to laugh at himself.

However, as much as I can appreciate Richard Simmons as a person, I have no desire to ever dance to his workout videos again. I say, “again”, because I actually did a fair amount of Richard Simmons' dancing during my high school years. “Sweatin' to the Oldies” was one of my mom's favorite ways to exercise, and I often joined it. I like oldies music. In fact, I preferred it to my own generation's music for most of high school. And it was fun to work out with my mom.

But Richard, oh Richard. How he likes to exclaim. And now whenever the songs from his workouts come on the radio I always hear his voice interjecting things like “open clap” in the middle of the song. I think I've had my fill of his exercise videos, and I think I can happily live my life without ever again seeing those tiny striped shorts groove.

I'm upping the ante on the punishment this time. To begin with, if I fail this challenge, I will have to use my own personal spending money to purchase Sweatin' to the Oldies 1, Sweatin' to the Oldies 2, Sweatin' to the Oldies 3, Sweatin' to the Oldies 4, and Sweatin' to the Oldies 5. I will have to complete every single workout on each DVD. And to sweeten the deal, I will have to set up a live web cam as I do my Sweatin' so anyone who wishes to witness my misery can do so.

The Sweatin' to the Oldies challenge will begin on Monday morning, May 14th, 2012. My official weigh-ins will be on Monday mornings. The final weigh-in will be on Monday, September 17th, 2012. After that final morning weigh-in, I will most likely take another week off . Like the Grand Old Opry challenge, this challenge runs for roughly four months. It's a long time, but I know I can do it, and it's a long enough time to see some results.

Like the last challenge, in order to win the challenge, I need to stay within my weekly calorie budget. I will start the challenge continuing with Loseit's recommended calorie limits for losing 2 pounds a week.     If I need to adjust the calorie amount or end the challenge entirely due to doctor's recommendations or other valid reasons, it will be allowed with no penalty. Invalid reasons for adjusting my weekly calorie count are because I feel like eating more, or because I accidentally went hog wild and ate an entire pig.

I am going to be taking a vacation (both a literal vacation, and a calorie-counting vacation) in the middle of this challenge. We are planning a 10 day trip to Michigan this summer. Because of the many stresses and unknowns of traveling, I'm not going to hold myself to counting calories. I don't want to set myself up for failure, and so I'm writing this caveat in. I'm thinking I might write up some goals with prizes for staying on track during my vacation, but there will be no negative penalties if I eat beyond my weekly limits during this time.

If I win this challenge, my reward will be a new stereo for my car. Nothing too fancy, but something with a CD player that isn't permanently broken from pennies being stuffed into it, and with audio hookups for an IPod so I can easily listen to my podcasts as I drive.



So here it is. The moment when my palms get clammy and I start to second guess myself.

I am now officially entering myself into the Sweatin' to the Oldies challenge. I promise that I will follow the rules of the challenge, as they have been explained above. I will track what I eat, using my integrity and best judgement to record what I am eating. I will not go above my weekly alloted calories. If I do, I will suck it up and take my punishment. I promise this to you, dear readers of the internet, and to myself.

Phew.

Kristen
Monday, May 14, 2012

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! The web cam MAKES this one. And, frankly I am a little disappointed that I won't be able to watch you workout to RS (because I know you will be fabulous at this next challenge too!) But, if you did, I would totally watch. Just sayin'. ;) Happy First Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and you are my inspiration. Have fun and stay happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete